HP3000-L Archives

September 2000, Week 3

From:
Joe Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 21 Sep 2000 09:05:56 -0400
Richard Gambrell wrote :

Did you consider Allbase/sql as a migration option?
If not, or if it didn't work out, why not?

Richard

Our site's platform direction is driven mostly by user application
requirements.  We support several operating systems, MPEiX, HPUX, NT and
OS390.  We support several databases, TurboImage and Allbase/SQL, Oracle
and DB2 and MS SQL Server.   Typically, since we do very little in-house
development, we bring in a number of vendors packages to select the best
product to fit the user's request.  When we ask what platforms their
software runs on, the response is approximately as follows , some apps run
on multiple platforms :

OS -

  NT   95%
  HPUX  60%
  OS390 5%
  MPEiX 0%

Oracle and MS Sql are typically the databases, no vendor has ever mentioned
MPEiX, Turboimage or Allbase as a possibility for their product.   It is
really as shame, because BIG bucks could have been saved over the long
haul...even running Oracle on the HP3000 rather than other platforms was a
big savings.