HP3000-L Archives

September 2000, Week 3

From:
Glenn Cole <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Glenn Cole <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Sep 2000 01:16:38 -0700
Greg Stigers writes:

> Speaking of Macs and VWs, I have to wonder if the pretty Macs were predated
> by the pretty VW Beetles.

Yes.  The weekly online Mac-oriented newsletter TidBITS noted in May 1998,
about a week after the announcement of the iMac (and well before the August
ship date; the announcement was necessitated because, IIRC, someone sent
the iMac ad to publications ahead of schedule)

   Volkswagen is advertising its new Beetle as being reverse-engineered
   from UFOs, but it may have to give up that claim in the face of
   Apple's new PowerBook G3 line.

> IIRC, the first iMac had a blue panel in its shell.

The colour was named Bondi Blue, and pronounced like "bonday" rather than
"bondee" as its namesake was a beach down under.

Goetz Neumann follows with: