HP3000-L Archives

September 2000, Week 3

From:
Neil Armstrong <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Neil Armstrong <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Sep 2000 00:19:10 -0600
Tracy,

> What followed was a series of "jargon" questions about
> my company's I.T. infrastructure.  All I wanted to know
> about was Reflection 1!

One of the frustrating things about some of these shows
is the lack of technical people in the booth, but what makes
it worse is some people's ability to say, you know I really
don't know the answer to that, sorry, but if you have a card
I can get someone who knows the answer to that.

> I finally met one tech present at the booth.  (Apparently
> all the others were Marketing wonks who subscribe to Hare
> Krishna.)

I haven't heard or seen the word wonks used in a sentence
in donkey's years. :)

> Did anyone else have this happen to them?

No but, given that  Veritas had a guy on a unicycle chucking
hats and stuffed animals at various audience members,
another company had a bar on the show floor, and HP had
these two cute adorable kids with really high-pitched and
overly excited voices, which I'm suprised didn't inspire some
of the others in booths in close proximity to HP to initiate some
form of violence after hearing it 50 times a day.

What really suprises me that either this kind of activity actually
works, or people investigate these companies products in
spite of it.

If I don't stop now I'm really going to start ranting.

Neil Armstrong