HP3000-L Archives

September 2000, Week 3

Date:
Tue, 19 Sep 2000 03:03:57 -0600
Hello All!

Let me first begin by saying how valuable this forum is to me at this
point in my porting effort!  I greatly appreciate all help received!

Ok, I've searched the raven listserv as well as this newsgroup for an
answer to this problem but could not find one, so hopefully someone can
shed some light....

Some of the scripts we are porting to MPE/iX 6.5 use Perl's rename
function in an intended atomic manner.  This works on all of our other
ported systems like AIX, Sun, HP-UX, Linux, etc, but not MPE.  Here is
how to recreate the bug:

- create a symbolic link to any other file on the file system in your
current directory
- create a file, <file>, using vi (or whatever) named something
different in the current directory as well
- run perl -e 'rename("<file>","<symlink>");'

The operation should accomplish nothing.  Doing the same on another
system like AIX will trash the link and overwrite the symlink with the
file.

Hopefully my description is clear...

Thanks in advance for any help!
Dan Behman.