HP3000-L Archives

September 2000, Week 2

From:
"Stigers, Greg [And]" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stigers, Greg [And]
Date:
Fri, 8 Sep 2000 13:24:15 -0400
X-no-Archive:yes
The way I see it is that they've already invested in some "web" / e-commerce
technologies to send and receive data. Bruce seems to think that there is a
good change that their webheads would love to send and receive XML. That's a
pretty good idea, for a few good reasons. While XML will not "roll with
punches and automagically adapt to changing web pages", it is intended to
provide a sort of lingua franca for self-describing data, and engines
already exist to parse such data. Folks are even trying to set standards for
certain kinds of data. Sure, there's the one time investment for creating
the processes to send and receive for both companies, plus whatever
maintenance is needed. But based on the acceptance of EDI, this idea can and
should work. For some folks, the fact that MS is on this bandwagon is a good
thing, and encourages others to jump on board. And, I think that any
competing vendor that offers an automated alternative has a competitive
advantage for those customers large enough to benefit from such automation.

Greg Stigers
http://www.cgiusa.com