HP3000-L Archives

September 2000, Week 2

From:
"Emerson, Tom # El Monte" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Emerson, Tom # El Monte
Date:
Wed, 13 Sep 2000 18:10:19 -0400
Actually, I was commenting on the error someone else was reporting -- even
still, the ability to turn on or off hardware compression ultimately depends
upon whether or not the drive has hardware compression ability in the first
place.  The point being that some (most) 7980's do NOT have compression (I
believe the actual model is 7980XP that has compression ability).  So, if
you received a tape from someone that stored it WITH compression, you're
basically SOL if you want to read it on a "normal" 7980.