HP3000-L Archives

September 2000, Week 2

Date:
Tue, 12 Sep 2000 19:36:02 -0600
In article <[log in to unmask]>, James Mattison
<[log in to unmask]> writes:

>Subject:       Intro to Networking & e-Commerce
>From:  James Mattison <[log in to unmask]>
>Date:  Tue, 12 Sep 2000 13:06:03 -0500 (Central Daylight Time)
>
>Salutations to all the members of "The Group".
>
>This is Tutor Turtle looking for Mr. Wizard!
>In his absence, Mrs. or Ms. Wizard will certainly do.
>
>I have inherited a rather unorganized 2-man shop and am looking for shortcuts
>to State-of-the-Art-sville.
>I have worked in several HP3000 shops in various positions, mostly
>application development.
>As an observer, I have seen some technological wonders in these shops but,
>for all I know, it was done with "smoke & mirrors".
>
>Please pick a number, your favorite number, and respond to me regarding the
>FIRST STEPS we should take toward the BEST solutions to the following:
>
>(1). [ INTERNET] We would like to make our HPe3000-979 accessible via the
>web.  We have a DELL server running NetWare and GroupWise
A firewall makes things more secure - you configure out the ports you don't
want togive access to.

>(2). [ERROR DETECTION ] We would like the HPe3000 to page us when there are
>system and/or batch scheduling problems

There are a couple of ways to do this see Telamon.com and find the site
www.solutionstore3000.com for more info

>(3). [ODBC] We would like to build Visual Basic/Access client/server
>applications that are driven by data stored in HPe3000 TurboImage databases

MBFoster partnered with HP to build the ODBCLink/SE  it allows basic data
access to Image/SQL and is bundled with the database ... see their website at
http://WWW.MBFoster.com for more info ...and a white paper on webifying your
HP3000 using ODBCLink/SE ... or DataExpress for client server (gets you KSAM
and MPE files).

>(4). [eCOMMERCE] We would like to create a website that interacts with
>HPe3000 TurboImage databases

We have many customers who has used an NT server to host the website and then
ODBC to get the info to/from the website ... MS-IIS and ColdFusion from
AllaireSoftware appear to be the way to go to implent this kind of solution ...

You can call me at1- 800-ANSWERS when I get back from HPWorld or look at the
website and talk to our tech support staff

>Any help is appreciated.  A name and phone number would be great!
>

>James Mattison
>Manager, Information Systems
>Wide-Lite, Inc.
>(512) 753-1234

Birket Foster
M. B. Foster Associates .. the 1-800-ANSWERS people!
Supplying DataExpress w/cross-platform ODBCLink Option ( 3000,9000&NT)
EC/EDI(3000,9000,NT) Phone (613) 448-2333 or (613) 448-2588 (FAX)
(See our website at http://WWW.MBFoster.com )