SCUBA-SE Archives

September 2000

From:
David Strike <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Sep 2000 14:18:53 +1000
On Friday, September 01, 2000 1:57 PM, Crusty Russ wrote:

> All eyes and ears are turning toward Australia for the up coming Olympic
> games.
>
> I heard something on the radio yesterday specifically regarding the
> Tri-Athletes who will be swimming in the the Sydney Harbor.  A concern
> was voiced over the potential for shark attack and the Olympic official
> of course down-played any aspect of danger, but said that certain
> precautions were in place never the less.

(snip)
> An Aussi connected with the event when asked if he was concerned about
> the impact that any potential shark attack may have on the Tri-Athletes
> mental attitude and performance remarked that he expected the shark
> scare to motivate the swimmers, resulting in new records for the
> in-water portion of the event.  :-)  Although he was chuckling during
> the interview, he was probably only half kidding.  I love the Aussi's
> sense of 'sport'.  :-)  Let the games begin!

> So, Strike, have you got any other inside info on the dive ops for the
> tri-geek event?

I know that the Shark Pod's gone through quite a few changes since it was
first introduced - and I do believe that the distributor got his wrist
slapped for trying to capitalise on it's use during an Olympic event.  Other
than that the only thing that I really know about the Olympics is that we're
expecting 15,000 competitors - and 17,000 media representatives! :-)

I just hope that the brewery can keep pace with demand!  :-)

Strike