SCUBA-SE Archives

September 2000

From:
Lee Bell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Sep 2000 06:57:45 -0400
David Strike wrote:

> "There is no recorded attack by a shark on any Royal Navy dressed diver,

Sounds like the local pro-shark feeding folks took a page out of RN manual.
Others expressed concern that shark feeding would bring more sharks into
areas frequented by non feeding divers and swimmers and, at the same time,
would condition them to associate people with food, a bad combination in the
minds of the anti-shark feeding faction.  The pro-feeders responded "There's
no recorded death of someone participating in a shark feeding."

Note, they didn't mention others in the feeding area or whether there have
been non fatal injuries from sharks, which there have.  Nevertheless, they
concluded that the activity they profit from was clearly safe.

The biggest news I've seen on the Olympics here in S. Florida seems to be
about some racial comments one long jumper made about others.  This time, it
appears the Americans were on the receiving end of the derogatory comments.
It also seems that the victims were a bit more sensitive than I would expect
from adults, regardless of origin.  Perhaps the Olympic committee should put
up signs reading "Sticks and stones will break my bones, but names will
never hurt me."  Better yet, perhaps the angry U.S. representatives should
simply use their anger to fuel improved performance, combating perceived
insults the best possible way, by kicking the offender's butt in
competition.

Lee