SCUBA-SE Archives

September 2000

Date:
Tue, 5 Sep 2000 22:15:14 +1100

That's why medical forms in general are designed such that anything out of
the ordinary shows up in a quick glance, ie usually ticks, and usually all
to one side if clear, only look at things that deviate from that.

> I'd go as far as to say that a hyberbarically qualified physician who
> also teaches Scuba should not medically examine the trainees in his/her
> care. I'd actually suggest that that would be a _really_ bad idea.

I go as far as to suggest that no medically qualified person should tech
SCUBA in this day and age. I know quite a few do, but I'd be very worried.

> Well, I am firmly of the opinion that my friend did not act
> irresponsibly. He was asked for a referral and gave one. His
> acquaintance did not use that referral and instead went to another
> (presumably hyperbarically qualified) physician and got passed.

I agree with your view, but if that person had consulted your friend in a
professional capacity, the latest legal opinion is that he should have
followed up at least once, and noted that fact. Not an easy task.

Cheers,
Poe