SCUBA-SE Archives

September 2000

From:
Ed Graves <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Sep 2000 13:56:49 -0400
>Date:    Thu, 28 Sep 2000 23:29:30 -0400
>From:    Lee Bell <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: FREE video offer

> >> Just a crate?
>>
> >> Amateurs!    :-)
>>
>> The requirements for professional status are too demanding!  >:-)

>Yeah, but just imagine getting paid to drink beer.

Lee - Once upon a time, many, many moons ago, I worked in a brewery. At the time they allowed us to drink the beer on premise (they stopped the practice when some idiot drank more than he could handle & killed someone on his way home), we could start drinking 1/2 hour before our shift started, on breaks, at lunch, & you could stay an hour after you clocked out for a few drops more. Almost like getting paid to drink beer. They had an interesting rule, You could drink as much as you wanted, but if ever found drunk on the job, you could be fired for cause. But since the U.S. beer has so little alcohol, as Andy mentioned, you could drink a shit load of beer.  In the lunch room they had huge coolers full of free beer, coffee cost a quarter, pop was a half dollar & the water was undrinkable. So by drinking the beer I was saving myself money. It was real fun when we were brewing ale for sale in BC (Canada), it was strictly forbidden for us to drink that, but it always ended up in our coolers somehow, and if you  managed to snatch a 'few' bottles off the line, before it went to the pasturizer, it was unlike anything you've drank before, nirvana.  Of course, it gave you the shits, but was worth it. Kinda a spoiled me for what they sale in the stores here.
Ed<big sigh>I need a Rolling Rock.
Ed Graves
Puget Sound, Washington
http://www.emeraldseadiveclub.org/