SCUBA-SE Archives

September 2000

From:
David Strike <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Sep 2000 18:18:52 +1000
On Friday, September 29, 2000 1:19 PM, Krazy Kiwi wrote - in response to
Andy's:

> >VB mate !!!  (Victoria Bitter). Exported Fosters is not (in the legal
> >sense) beer, same for Castlemaine. Swan is pretty good,
> >esp. the can with the little black ducks on it.
> >Cheers......

> After a carton or two you reckon they're little black ducks eh ;-)
> They're Swans mate :-))  Perth's state emblem for bird life.
> Real birds that is, not chickie-babes ;-)

That reminds me of a Tall Tale!  :-)

About twelve years ago, I travelled up the Mekong River in Laos to visit the
Bhuddha caves.  A place where, for 500 years or so, devotees would place
images of the Bhuddha to ensure good luck for the future or in thanks for
received good fortune.

The caves are set above the high water mark and - then - had no artificial
lighting or visitor amenities.  For some reason, I had a guide who spoke no
English, only French.  I was also bundled into a long boat with a number of
French people!!!

I do not speak French! :-)

After clambering, slipping and sliding, up through the mud of the river
embankment to the caves - and fortunately carrying with me a small torch
that allowed me to explore the deeper recesses of the cave - I was in need
of liquid refreshment.

The guide - managing to understand my need for amber fluid - led me to a
jungle clearing where a bamboo mat had been spread.  In one corner was a
polystyrene ice box filled with Swan Beer.

That little 'black duck' never looked so good!  :-)

I later learned that it was there at the insistence of the French medical
team.  At that point my  regard for French good taste new no bounds!  :-)

Strike