SCUBA-SE Archives

September 2000

Date:
Mon, 18 Sep 2000 16:40:07 +1200
Hi Gang,
   Tim and I had a great time. Aldermen Islands are always a 3 dive day. Our first dive we went out with a guide to make sure we knew what we were doing and I was glad because I was very nervous. I kept thinking on the way down to Tiarua which is about 130K from my house that we would get lost from the boat. Tim kept telling me look we are the only Americans on the boat how could they forget us;-).
So when our dive master set us up with a guide I was thrilled.
We first saw a sea lion out in the water, I was hoping to catch up with it but never did, someone in our group did get to play with it, oh well next time. We seen all kinds of Black Angels and other fish I have no idea what they were but they were great anyway. We were looking for crays so I kept the catch bag with me so Tim could have a hands free dive for the first dive. We did 11m for 33 min. It felt great.
Our second dive was even better we went to another area of Islands and saw some Moray eels, they always look like they are wanting to bite you, I know they are just breathing. Our dive guide fed some of the fish kenna, and the eel as well. It was unusual to find eels just laying on the bottom like that usually they are in the cracks and crevesses. We also saw some multi colored fish which I think the locals here call them pig fish, you can just reach out and touch someone or them;-).
Our third dive we went ourselves, the dive guide said after the first dive she didn't need to be with us and only if we wanted her to come along. The currents and surge was very strong by the 3rd dive and we went around to another part of the Island, we saw some I thought black fish with 2 round spots that sparkled liked diamonds in schools there and it was very neat, I also saw a cray and Tim lost our cray bag on our second dive so no more bag for him;-) or is that what he wants ;-). I was so tired by our third dive it wasn't nearly as enjoyable as the first 2, so that shows how out of shape I am and they were getting no more than 1-1 1/2 hour SI I would have liked just a little longer to rest between dives but that is me. I didn't have to do all three but I paid for it and by golly that is what I am going to do:-).
The only thing wasn't that great was the vis, it was about 8 meters usually its alot better than that, but they said something bloomed I just can't remember what it was. Oh well the trip was worth taking and beautiful as well I enjoyed every bit of it.
There is lots more but when I got home my dog was in labor with puppies and having trouble so I ended up taking her to the vet and spent all night she had a C-section and all the pups were dead and smelly and I told them to fix her at the same time. So I know there is heaps more just can't think with only 30min cat nap in 2 days after diving.
Cheers
Sherry and Tim