SCUBA-SE Archives

September 2000

From:
Lee Bell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Sep 2000 20:21:17 -0400
> I have tried to play golf a time or two. It was not a pretty sight. I was
> good at driving the cart and drinking the beer though. Now when my golfing
> buds suggest a round and a trip to the 19th hole, I agree on a time to
meet
> them at the 19th hole. I try to get there an hour or so ahead of them so I
> get an early start on the liquid refreshment.

Beer is not the correct drink for playing golf.  I've played a round or two,
now and then, more than than now.  For a lousy golfer, I wasn't bad, but
after the first round, many years ago, I learned the proper drink for a golf
course.

Scotch is the drink, both for tradition's sake and for a couple of very
practical reasons:
1. Some courses won't let you carry your own cooler.  While I don't mind
helping them pay the bills by buying my beer from the lady driving around
the course for this purpose, I do mind having to wait for her to show up at
my location.
2. A sufficient supply of scotch can be carried in an appropriate container
inside a decent golf bag.  Better yet, it can be carried in a container that
is not instantly recognizable as what it is.  I have a very nice set of
binoculars that I take places where bringing one's own beverage is not an
approved activity.  I can't see a darned thing through them and, by the time
they're emtpy, I can't see much anywhere else either.  Carrying that much
beer might strain my back and would certainly get me dirty looks from the
course staff.
3. Golf courses here in S. Florida seem to be concerned about dehydration.
To help, they conveniently locate water coolers of one type of another
around the course.  Scotch and water is an excellent drink and, if the
course is going to supply the mixer, who am I to argue.

I carry a plastic liter bottle of Dewar's.

Lee