SCUBA-SE Archives

September 2000

From:
Krazy Kiwi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Sep 2000 21:16:43 -0400
Carol Reid <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>Hi,
>After Andy asked, I was asked again locally if I'd been tested and
>then re-read an article in the Dive mag which said that this test was
>recommended for any diver who had been admitted to a chamber was
>automatically referred for a PFO test.
>My heart sank!   The thought of a *heart* operation.........
>I'll need to wait now until Mon to see the quack.
>Oh dear.......

Carol,
Dont count your chickens before they hatch ie think the worse. Dont forget
with pain only DCI it can be anything. And I hope you realise that it will
be a cardiologist you should be referred to .. not just ya ordinary quack
:-)

>>I was surprised to hear though, that many doctors dont think recreational
>>divers should be screened for PFO... and would recommend it more for
>>saturation divers. I guess it depends on how much you value life.
>>Viv

When I wrote this bit in the wee hours of the morn I realised I didnt
explain I meant compulstory testing for PFO during a dive medical ie before
you take up scuba. But with the expense of these tests Im not surprised
they worry about testing for PFO after an incident.

I wouldnt mind knowing what test they use for you Carol - TTE, TEE, chest
CT ... or some other doppler method?
Viv