SCUBA-SE Archives

September 2000

From:
Carol Reid <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Sep 2000 23:14:20 +0100
Hi,

After Andy asked, I was asked again locally if I'd been tested and then
re-read an article in the Dive mag which said that this test was recommended
for any diver who had been
admitted to a chamber was automatically referred for a PFO test.
My heart sank!   The thought of a *heart* operation.........
I'll need to wait now until Mon to see the quack.
Oh dear.......
Carol

> >Kuty said look at this..........
> >A truly terrifying story
> >http://www.cisatlantic.com/trimix/pile/cmd.html
>
> Yes, I read the story by Richard L. Pyle. I saw a snippet of this article
> in the SPUMS journal & was so horrified I thought the guy must have been
on
> drugs or had embelished his story abit .. no body can be that stupid can
> they!!
> Anyhow, Richard certainly lived up to his nickname, with an ego to match.
> Literally one cock-up after another & definitely an accident waiting to
> happen.
> Dived with faulty equipment - mask, pressure gauge, and that computer (the
> one between the ears called a brain) wasnt malfunctioning also!
> No backup gear & actually diving solo in such a remote place. (Ive been to
> Palau & the currents are unpredictable so you have to have your wits about
> you)
> Encountered narcosis at depth but, instead of going shallower to combat
the
> problem, stayed at that depth chasing fish. Certainly away with the
fairies!
> Did not monitor his air usage.
> Ascended to the surface at break-neck speed when he realised he was out of
> air, but then stuffed around on the boat instead of starting IWR
> immediately or moving his arse to get to Koror ASAP for help.
> Then, to compound things more he then does a couple more short dives, one
> to look for a particular type of fish Jack required & the second to
collect
> it!!
> I will give this guy a new nickname that I think suits him better -
Richard