HP3000-L Archives

August 2000, Week 5

From:
Jeff Woods <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Woods <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Aug 2000 17:11:54 -0600
At  04:46 PM 8/29/00, Donna Garverick wrote:
>Gavin Scott wrote:
>
> > They will even survive INSTALLs :-)

> > The idea is that after doing the :GETRIN, you would go hardcode the RIN
> > number in your application somewhere, so you really don't want the numbers
> > to change or go away.

Even though the intent of GRINs is to be permanent until freed, I suggest
you don't literally hardcode them into your applications.  Instead, look
them up from some table of "constants" at runtime.  That way if something
forces you to get another RIN number for some reason (BTDT) you can easily
change the reference to it everywhere.

--
Jeff Woods
"The great thing about Open Source software is that you can