HP3000-L Archives

August 2000, Week 4

From:
Jerry Fochtman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jerry Fochtman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Aug 2000 12:10:24 -0500
At 08:56 AM 8/23/00 -0700, Bruce Toback wrote:
>I had it happen to me once: I turned down IBM, and the next day I
>happened to be in the company president's office when he got the call
>from the IBM "sales manager". This person proceeded to tell the president
>that his DP manager's lack of experience was creating a serious risk for
>the company. Great fun then ensued, because the company president *also*
>preferred the HP 3000, and had a penchant for forceful expression of his
>opinions.

When this same thing happened to us in '74 while in a school district.
The superintendent received the call and graciously thanked the IBM
manager for helping him understand just where the problems were in the
vendor selection process.  He then turned around and I watched him
toss the IBM proposal in the trash can.  He then told the IBM person
that the field had now been narrowed by one and not to bother calling....