HP3000-L Archives

August 2000, Week 4

From:
Doug Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Doug Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Aug 2000 10:58:52 -0700
I wanted to thank James Byrne for his plug for FineWriter from AABBY software.

<more plug>

I needed to get some documents up and looked around for the US Distributor. After finding a couple sites, who might have a cheaper price, I settled for one that allows ordering by Phone (a 1(800) number with a person who actually answers the phone, instead of a recording machine!), and / or, off the net,  and allows try before buying:

http://www.smartlinkcorp.com/

They are very courteous and I got the AABBY FineWriter Professional 4.0 the next day. I had ordered the Standard Edition, but they had run out, so shipped the Professional Version for the same price.

It does a marvelous job scanning, considering that I also got an HP ScanJet 5300c, which doesn't scan those characters in quite as well as I would have hoped, given the reputation of the manufacturer (ahem) and the price I paid.

This FineWriter is great stuff!

</plug>

<new plug>

A week later, I purchased SmartScore from Musitek. It too, does a marvelous job, using a page scanner to transform sheet music to electronic formatted music, such as MIDI files. It has the graphic page scanned on the top of the split screen, and the score below. You can edit the notes and notations and then play sections of the music until you get it right. (I'm a Leroy Anderson fan and want to build a nearly complete collection of his music in MIDI files.)

Again, the only complaint I have is the hardware.

</new plug>

No, I don't own stock or have a financial interest in these products (except the purchase price).

Again, thank you James for timely information!

Isn't HP3000-L just grand?!