HP3000-L Archives

August 2000, Week 4

From:
"F. Alfredo Rego" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
F. Alfredo Rego
Date:
Tue, 22 Aug 2000 11:20:30 -0600
Mark Bixby <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Ted Ashton wrote (to Winston):
>  > Sir,
>  >   We've asked HP for specific details on what it will do to
>ensure the health
>  > of the e3000.  We'd (at least some of us) would like to do
>something specific
>  > to contribute to that effort.  How can we help/
>
>I'm not speaking for Winston, CSY, or HP.  But I'd like to suggest some things
>that anybody can do to contribute to the health of the e3000.

Well said.

>First, take the time to play with POSIX.  There's more to MPE these days than
>just COBOL, Image, and VPLUS, and POSIX is truly the foundation that allows
>today's MPE to "play well" with other OSes and the Internet.  I know from
>HP3000-L that people are still discovering POSIX, and that's good.  But it
>would be *great* if everybody had a least a little exposure.

In fact, Posix (anyway you capitalize it) is also the foundation for many
good features in IMAGE (such as jumbo datasets and intrinsic B-Tree indexing).
Granted, with the advent of large files, jumbo datasets will become what
they were meant to be: just transitional data structures.  But I digress...

>Most of the hard work has already been done.  Most porting problems already
>have solutions, and more solutions are being worked on.  The experienced
>porters are standing by to help you get started.  Don't know where to get
>started?  Feel free to ask us for advice -- we all have long lists of projects
>that exceed our available free time but would be awesome to have on
>MPE.  In my
>opinion and very generally speaking, any application useful or
>popular on Linux
>would be useful to have on MPE.

There we go!  We might as well take as much advantage of the Linux link as
possible :-)

>I estimate that only 0.5% of the mailing list subscribers of HP3000-L are
>active porting participants, and just look what we've been able to accomplish
>the last couple of years.  Imagine what we could do if we got that
>participating percentage up to 1% or even 10%.
>
>The future is what YOU want to make it.  Ask not what MPE can do for you, but
>what you can do for MPE!
>
>- Mark B. (speaking only for myself)

I believe you speak for MANY.  The nice thing about Posix on MPE/iX is that
you can have your MPE cake and eat your "X" too.  When CSY manages to clean up
a few pending "Posix smoothing" issues, MPE can (and will) be the best
Posix-compliant platform.  And this is something that can be measured.

Regarding things that can't be measured, CSY comes through again without
having restored to the "me-too" mentality in naming and branding.
Remember that "iX" came way before "iMac" :-)

  _______________
|            r  |  Alfredo                     [log in to unmask]
|          e    |                           http://www.adager.com
|        g      |  F. Alfredo Rego
|      a        |  Manager, R & D Labs
|    d          |  Adager Corporation
|  A            |  Sun Valley, Idaho 83353-3000            U.S.A.