HP3000-L Archives

August 2000, Week 4

From:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Aug 2000 11:15:32 -0400
"Coombs, Darryl" wrote:

> Hi all, I'm geting the following error on our 947LX and have searched
> through the error message manuals to no avail.  Anyone know what this
> one means?
>
> :** NETXPORT IP : NETWORK PROBLEM; Gateway redirects severe
> - Loc: 215; Class: 2; Parm= $0A011024; PortID: $FFFFFE99

Not exactly, but perhaps I can point you in the right direction.
Gateway redirects are caused by multiple "routers" (actual routers or
devices with multiple NICs enabled to forward between them) on your
subnet.  If you try to reach a destination "foo" through a gateway
"fee", but "fee" knows that it's closer/faster if you use "fie" instead,
it will send an ICMP redirect telling the 3000 to change the gateway
for this connection to "fie".

I would suspect either a routing topology change on your network (e.g.,
a new or removed gateway), or a gateway is down.  I don't know many
details of the error message, but I would venture to guess that Parm
may be the IP address in question - works out to 10.1.16.38, does that
ring a bell?

Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>