HP3000-L Archives

August 2000, Week 4

From:
Donna Garverick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Donna Garverick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Aug 2000 09:43:05 -0700
hi all!

(do i ever post questions *not* about network
problems...?<sigh>)

ok...so i've updated my two most heavily used systems to
6.0pp2 and an assortment of reactive patches (post-pp2 gr).
now -- for no truely obvious reason (as is the case with
network problems) -- both machines appear to lose
connectivity with our network.  and as is the case with most
network problems, i've got our network engineers squared-off
against the hp engineers handling the problem <sigh>

symptomatically, we'll see that the machine quit responding
to external pings.  *if* i catch it fast enough, i can do a
netcontrol...;update=internet and <tada> the machine starts
answering pings.  what's more likely the case -- the
machines have been in trouble for 'some time' (maybe 30
minutes?) and now folks are complaining that 1) they can't
logon (mostly likely via vt) or 2) they're getting dropped
off the system (and the network dependent background jobs
are hopelessly confused).  in this case, we'll see 'Could
not initialize data in path with TCP' messages on the
console coming from inetd.  (are we having enough fun yet?)
another one or two 'netcontrol...;update=internet' *usually*
takes care of the problem, btw.

so...the hp engineer says he seeing '16301      5
Retransmission' messages in our nmlg files and concludes
that there is some sort of problem between the switch and
the router (cisco, btw).  so...our network engineers say 'we
don't see any problems' <sigh>

oh how i love being stuck in the middle, not.

so -- has anyone else seen anything like this since going to
6.0?  i find it very hard to believe that we're having such
terrible problems on our network *and* that the problems
coincide with my updating these systems to
6.0.                - d

--
Donna Garverick     Sr. System Programmer