HP3000-L Archives

August 2000, Week 4

From:
Steve Dirickson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Dirickson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Aug 2000 20:03:47 -0700
> So, Steve, enlighten me/us...how and why would I want to use
> DICTIONARY/V?

1) Because it's HP's only system-level repository for
globally-accessible storage of database, file, form, and
report-content definitions.
2) Because it allows you to update definitions in one place and have
them automatically propagate to supported language products, like
Transact/iX and COBOL (FORTRAN, Cecile?. Unfortunately, not C/iX), as
well as database-management utilities.
3) Because it makes the developer's job a lot easier. The more dynamic
the environment (database schema changes, adding/changing/deleting
VPLUS forms, etc.) the more work it saves.

> Is it free?

No.

> If not, how much?

Probably more than it should. At least to developers, since it is not
included in the SPP software suite (or it wasn't last time I heard the
list, probably spring '99).

> That "V" bothers me. Is it
> from MPE/V?  I
> recall using something like that way back on a Micro 37, but
> that was so
> long ago, the memories are shrouded in fog....

Entirely possible; it's the same product (well, in updated form) as I
used on a Series 58 in the late '80s. But it does the same job as it
did then.

Steve