HP3000-L Archives

August 2000, Week 4

From:
Steve Dirickson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Dirickson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Aug 2000 19:33:36 -0700
> funny).  But the thing I found truly offensive was Al's
> reposting of private
> messages to the list.  If I had been one of the people who
> responded to him
> through private email, and then saw my message reposted here,
> I would have been
> quite upset too.  The whole point of a private reply is to
> avoid cluttering up
> the list by airing personal disputes.  The people who
> criticized Al were
> respectful enough of the rest of us to not subject us to a
> flame war, but Al
> chose to ignore that intent and drag the rest of us into it,
> and committed a
> gross violation of nettiquette in the process.  I posted this
> message publicly
> in the hope that others will agree and not follow Al's
> example in the future.

Amen. Posting private e-mail on a public forum to 'punish' the sender
displays slightly less maturity than the 5-year-old who runs off "to
tell Mom" about a sibling's action, and significantly less courage
than "getting even" with the team that thrashed you in the snowball
fight by running inside and dropping eggs on them from the safety of
your fifth-floor apartment.

Steve