HP3000-L Archives

August 2000, Week 4

From:
Donna Garverick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Donna Garverick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Aug 2000 12:15:16 -0700
Nick Demos wrote:

> I have to agree with Donna,

:-)

> UNLESS you have enough programming resources to
> buffer the data entries on a PC and upload them in the background with the
> ability to store them on the PC disk when the Internet fails
> and automatically upload them when the
> Internet comes back up.  This is the most fail safe method of all.  It
> depends on only one piece of equipment )one's PC) to keep data entry
> going.

i'll (now :-) add that this is exactly how we do it at longs.  our data entry folks do
the head-down thing all day long on their pc's.  the data is then transmitted in
batches to our main mpe server for processing.  if there's trouble with the network,
the batch waits until it can get thru.       - d

--
Donna Garverick     Sr. System Programmer