HP3000-L Archives

August 2000, Week 1

From:
Gavin Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gavin Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Aug 2000 16:09:30 -0700
Denys writes:
> You are not now a member of Interex?!?

Nor will I name names of those who are, Senator.

   http://www.interex.org/inside/board.html

> If you are not a member, add $200.  If you wish to become a member,
> it will cost you $195.

"What will you do with all the money you save?"

> The registration cost is selectable.

But unfortunately not optional.

> Another trick that we use is to fly to another airport that has
> cheaper flights.  In this case, we will probably fly into
> Baltimore (BWI) and drive up to Philly.

The secret here is that the East is a lot smaller than people there would
like you to think.  I once accidentally visited three States and the
District of Columbia on the drive from BWI to my Maryland hotel (it was
dark, ok?).

> Hotel:  I am sure there are several hotels near the convention
> center.

Certainly rooms are still available within the same time zone.

> There are buses running between the different convention
> hotels and the convention center.  See if you can get a hotel
> near one of those hotels and hop on one of the buses.

I.e. the conference hotel and all participating hotels are already full.

> There are also two receptions (one on Sunday evening and one
> on Monday evening.)  So, if you got in on Saturday, you would
> need meals for Sunday (with perhaps just a small dinner after
> the receptions)

Actually the reception food has been pretty good in recent years.  Bring one
of those foam takeaway food containers and stock up.

What's with this big deal about reimbursement for food while on business
trips anyway?  Don't you people eat out when you're not traveling?  I wonder
if this is related to my continuing efforts to discover the intended use of
that extra room in my house, the one with all the tile and the things that
get dangerously hot if you turn them on?

> Drinks:  Beyond the 2 receptions and the HP World 2000 party, you
> are on your own there.  Be aware that many vendors have hospitality
> suites during the conference.

Bring pictures of the NSA's computer facilities to wave at vendors as you
describe your plans to spend millions next year on whatever it is that the
vendor sells.

> Program:  Select in advance the presentations you want to see and
> also have an alternate.  You never know.

Some people shouldn't be allowed to speak in public.

> There are blocks of time dedicated to the vendor show, use them,

That's why they're dedicated.  You don't actually have a choice.

> So if a block does not have a session that appeals to you (hey,
> it can happen!), run to the vendor show.

But the vendor show can get tedious after a couple days of this.

> Do not be afraid to ask questions of the vendors.

Please do, most of the time we're bored out of our minds standing there.

> This is your big chance, the once a year HP conference.

Like we won't take your money the rest of the year.

> Misc:  Use a big suitcase and leave room in it on the way in.
> You will collect a lot of literature and a few trinkets that
> you will take back.

Tell your boss that sometimes vendors give out laptops as "trinkets" and if
he lets you go you'll get one for him too.

Not to mention that spare set of towels for the guest bathroom.

> Bring lots of business cards.

Those of people you hate are great for handing out at the vendor show.

> Even though the badges are electronic and the vendors all have
> the card readers,

These card reader things are great.  They allow a vendor to instantly
collect all of your contact information so that they can follow up with you
and provide targeted mailings to people who are truly interested in their
products or services.

(Actually they'll just do a bulk mailing to everyone who registers for the
conference, and most salespeople can't figure out how to use the card
readers anyway, but it keeps the card reader rental companies employed).

> This list is a veritable who's who of this list

Truer words were never spoken.

G. (just in a mood I guess :-)