HP3000-L Archives

August 2000, Week 1

From:
Brian Duncombe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brian Duncombe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Aug 2000 18:01:22 -0400
WARNING! I just returned from lunch with my lawyer and may be overly cynical!
(The answer for those who care is "probably March or April 2001")

I think that we are being unreasonable in our expectations of those within
HP that are not directly part of CSY.  As my lawyer likes to keep pointing
out when I am in one of these depressed moods, "It is only business, it
isn't anything personal!".

It is not in the interest of HP, the company, to promote the HPe3000:
- The "sexier" platforms are easier to convince the magazine readers to buy.
- The "sexier" platforms seem to require more hardware to do a given task.
- The "sexier" platforms provide much more opportunity for HP consulting
services.
- The "sexier" platforms are easier for the magazine experts to understand
(WARNING, circular argument).

Just to put this into perspective:
- In the early years, the HP3000 was probably 20-25% of HP total revenues.
- Today, the HPe3000 probably accounts for less than 1% of HP total revenues.
- The HP3000 revenue wasn't reduced by a factor of 20 or 25, HP built
several new "sexier" businesses.
- The HPe3000 business, by itself, would still be a Fortune 100 company
(SigSoftvend couldn't afford it).

I doubt that HP, the company, will arbitrarily cancel the HPe3000:
- I understand that the profit margin is better than "sexier".
- The hardware is shared with the "sexier" platforms so the hardware R&D
costs are reduced significantly.
- Some large key accounts like the HPe3000 and have been known to follow
the Sun when they develop an interest in "sexier").
- The HPe3000 community is the MOST loyal in the industry (seems to me
anyway, more so than AS/400).
- Last, but certainly not least, a few good men and women keep the HPe3000
fires raging within CSY.

So, for excellent business reasons, HP (the company) will continue to
stealth market the HPe3000.
Because it is their livelihood, CSY will continue to make sure that the
HPe3000 is the best platform in the industry.
We will be happy campers but the campsite will continue to get smaller.

When I worked for HP in the late 70's and early 80's, I use to wonder why
sale reps who could easily sell hardware were usually below quota on
software and consulting.
One day, a sales rep explained it to me this way:
- When the customer is out of disk space or CPU power,
   it is easy to demonstrate and the sales cycle is short and sweet.
- Trying to explain the features and benefits of software is a pain.
- Selling consulting is like selling software except that it also prevents
or delays hardware sales.

Let's simply consider ourselves extremely lucky to be able to work with the
finest computer system in the industry, promote it where we can, don't get
frustrated when HP doesn't promote it the way we think they should, and
enjoy the moments.  This community is the most helpful, caring, and
interesting one I could possible imagine and the people themselves are a
special pleasure.

Ain't life GREAT!!

Brian Duncombe  [log in to unmask]  http://www.triolet.com
voice: 1-877-TRIOLET (874-6538) (905)632-2773 fax: (905) 632-8704
"Inside every large program is a small one struggling to get out"
C.A.R. Hoare