HP3000-L Archives

August 2000, Week 1

From:
Barry Lake <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Barry Lake <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Aug 2000 11:29:55 -0700
At 11:13 AM -0700 8/2/00, [log in to unmask] wrote:
>I was successful downloading
>ftp://ftp.bixby.org/pub/mpe/diffutils-2.7-mpe.tar.Z
>via ftp directly to my HP3k, but am having NO luck trying to figure out how
>to run tar, or even the version present
>I tried
>sh.hpbin.sys
>$ man /etc tar
>and several other variants; of course I also tried
>$ tar.hpbin.sys -h

*IF* you have your POSIX environment set up properly, then at the shell
prompt you should be able to do

   $man tar

To run tar within the shell, you don't need to fully qualify the file name,
just  type

   $tar <followed by all your tar options>

(And besides, once in the shell, "tar.hpbin.sys" would refer to a file in
your current directory. If you wanted to refer to the actual program file
you'd have to use the POSIX syntax which is "/SYS/HBBIN/TAR")

For tips on setting up your POSIX environment properly, see Michael
Hensley's paper at

   http://www.allegro.com/papers/posix/pnpposix.html

Barry Lake                                 [log in to unmask]
Allegro Consultants, Inc.                  www.allegro.com
(408)252-2330