HP3000-L Archives

August 2000, Week 1

From:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Aug 2000 22:33:23 -0400
Sletten Kenneth W KPWA wrote:

[...snip...]

> > Installed > 250Mb of patches from a Custom Patch Manager
> > bundle downloaded overnight.  Still no change.
>
> Say, what ??....  That was........   250 **MB**.....  yikes !!...
> Our entire MPEXL_SYSTEM_VOLUME_SET is only 1414 MB...

Yes sir, over one quarter of a gigabyte.

> let's see.... by my count that's ** 143 hours ** just for system
> support people, not counting anything for end-user downtime....

Man-hours, yes (although I mistyped the original, it was just 1 HP SE
on Sunday).

> > I want my MPE :-(
>
> When I did an INSTALL of the < long_name > a couple years
> ago because PREDICTIVE indicated one of the spindles was
> starting to get soft read errors, the complete INSTALL process
> took something like 40 minutes (we keep the < long_name >
> "HP pure" (all user data on user volumes) )...

This was an "install" to the effect that we installed a virgin 11.00
system rather than updating (too many changes, and complications arising
from a simple update).  Restoring the 'ignite' tape isn't too
bad (an hour or so) then you have to tweak some things but it pretty
much gets you back where you started.  The base system wasn't so much of
a problem, it's getting HP add-on and other 3rd-party stuff to run on it
(so much for object code compatibility).

And ditto to what Richard said regarding "maturity" of the target; this
isn't unlike upgrading 5.0 to 5.5 now on MPE (I seem to recall that UX
11 was out about the same time as MPE 5.5).

Jeff