HP3000-L Archives

August 2000, Week 1

From:
Stan Sieler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stan Sieler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Aug 2000 16:00:05 -0700
Re:

> It is clear now that the
> move from the Classic system to the Spectrum involved quite major system
> design alteration.    I can no longer say, pull the plug and turn back on,
> the system will continue where it leff off.

Actually, you can ... on older models (9x7 and earlier) ... when things
work right!

However, I've seen a couple of instances where turning on a powered off 9x7
machine would have the CPU come up in the "I think I'm okay, it was just
a quick power failure" mode ... which wasn't appropriate, because the
power had been off too long for the battery backup.  In those cases,
the control-B TC didn't bring the system up (and I had to do a control-B RS).

> I hope that newer systems can be powered back quicker.

How much memory is on your system?

> > If you have an old 3000 that
> > supports power-fail, and you don't have a UPS for your disk drives as a
> > result, then those "cheap" modern disk drives may or may not be a good
> deal.
> > I don't know if all modern drives now have the features that HP used to
> have
> > to add themselves, or if HP just doesn't pay attention to the requirements

true.

Stan Sieler                                           [log in to unmask]
www.allegro.com/sieler/wanted/index.html          www.allegro.com/sieler