HP3000-L Archives

August 2000, Week 1

From:
Ted Ashton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ted Ashton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Aug 2000 15:58:41 -0400
Thus it was written in the epistle of Bruce Toback,
> Ted Ashton writes:
>
> >Alaska did previously extend across the date line and there is a wildly-held

(make that widely-held :-)

> >belief that it currently does, but the date line was moved to keep all of
> >Alaska, including Attu on this side.
>
> The date line is not the same thing as the 180 degree meridian. It
> follows the meridian for most of its length, but jogs here and there as
> you mentioned for the convenience of the people who live in the region.
> The meridian, however, is an absolutely straight line, spherically
> speaking.

Granted.  And so, the answer is . . . "it depends".  Easternmost by who's
definition.  If you stand on the Greenwich line and decide that east stops
at the other side of the globe, physically, then Alaska gets it.  If you stand
in the middle of the US and measure distances, Maine wins.  If you care about
who gets the day first, Alaska used to be it and isn't any more.  And there are
"official" sites using all three measurements.  'Course if you (as has been
mentioned) look on a map, Alaska's just a little smaller than Texas and located
southwest of California right next to Hawaii :-).

Ted
--
Ted Ashton ([log in to unmask]), Info Sys, Southern Adventist University
[During a lecture:] This has been done elegantly by Minkowski; but chalk is