HP3000-L Archives

August 2000, Week 1

From:
Mark Bixby <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Bixby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Aug 2000 15:15:47 -0700
Hi HP3000-L,

I've created a small mod_perl demo on jazz:

        http://jazz.external.hp.com/dso_demo/

Part of what mod_perl can do is to make your Perl CGI scripts execute
incredibly fast without the hefty initial overhead of Perl process startup and
interpretation.  The above demo illustrates this difference.  First run the
traditional Perl CGI script, and observe the response time.  Then run the same
script under mod_perl and note the incredible difference!

Please be sure to read the demo setup notes that explain in detail what is
happening and under what conditions the amazing response time will be attained.

To learn more about mod_perl (and it can do a lot more besides just fast CGI
scripts), please see:

        http://perl.apache.org/

To obtain Perl and mod_perl, please see:

        http://www.bixby.org/mark/perlix.html

The jazz demo environment is HP WebWise MPE/iX Secure Web Server A.01.00 plus
Perl and mod_perl from bixby.org.  Mod_perl is a DSO, and requires a version of
Apache capable of loading DSOs on MPE (such as WebWise).

My latest freeware Apache also supports DSOs (but does not include any of the
WebWise SSL features):

        http://www.bixby.org/mark/apacheix.html

The next official Apache beta to be released from CSY will also support DSOs.
Stay tuned.

Perl and mod_perl are bixby.org freeware packages that are NOT supported by
HP.  This demo is only running on jazz because jazz is the only 3000 I have
access to that's not behind a firewall.

- Mark B. (Perl evangelist :-))