HP3000-L Archives

August 2000, Week 1

From:
Dennis Heidner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dennis Heidner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Aug 2000 14:41:14 -0600
You might want to consider changing to CDROM for the MPEiX media, adding
a DVD to the e3000 and cut your own update tapes.  An advantage is that
you can also merge in the power patch tapes, and you can verify that you
have the correct subsystems.  It reduces the number of reboots.    It
also saves contacting HP multiple times when the subsystem tape doesn't
have the correct products on it.

What type of aborts were you getting?

Most of the MPEix 6.0 problems we've seen during updates have been
related to missing PSEUDO entries for the SCSI devices or a JAVA HFS
name at root, (built from early jazz releases...)

I have seen two or three times in which I get strange system aborts
after I've moved a machine to MPEiX 6.0 with Powerpatch 2, and
immediately try adding reactive patches.  But I'm almost convinced that
in these cases the problem was bad media.   Fortuantely since the system
would crash on the boot after the update, but before any subsystem files
could be restored from the tape, I only needed to update from the
previous MPEiX 6.0 tape, clean the DAT and repeat the update off the
reactive patch tape.  That worked on two of the three, the third I went
back to MPEiX 6.0,  re-created the reactive patch tape on new media
(because MPEiX had then started to report the media bad) and everything
worked okay.

Because of the problems with these three systems,  I always spend the
extra time to use CHECKSLT to read and verify the tape is readable and
bootable.