HP3000-L Archives

August 2000, Week 1

From:
Mark Bixby <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Bixby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Aug 2000 16:13:00 -0700
Damian Sobieralski wrote:
>  Also, my POSIX shell /etc/profile was changed (the old was was backed up though). As some one pointed on kindly a few months ago, I made sure it had:
>
> export CFLAGS="-DSYSV -D_POSIX_SOURCE -D_SOCKET_SOURCE -D_MPEIX_SOURCE -D_MPEXL_SOURCE -DPOSIX"
> export LDFLAGS="-lsocket -lcurses -lsvipc"

One minor comment -- specifying CFLAGS symbols and LDFLAGS libraries not
*required* by what you're compiling may possibly produce undesired results.

I try to restrict my own /etc/profile to truly global things that need to apply
to EVERYTHING I do in POSIX.  My own observation is that CFLAGS/LDFLAGS tends
to be too program-specific to be specified globally in /etc/profile.  Better to
specify this stuff either in a Makefile or in a configure script wrapper.

- Mark B. (hmmm, an unusually large number of POSIX postings both public and
private today -- I take this as a good thing!)