SCUBA-SE Archives

August 2000

Date:
Thu, 3 Aug 2000 16:19:46 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: David Strike <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wednesday, August 02, 2000 11:24 PM
Subject: Re: [SCUBA-SE] Forward into the past!

> On Thursday, August 03, 2000 12:48 PM, Chuck wrote:
>
> > Hmmmm.  I have done a cross-over (albeit at the dive master level.)
> Wasn't
> > all that easy (had to pass the NAUI Master Diver Test) from a text book
> > learning POV but wasn't all that hard either.  The additional in-water
> > skills were trivial and beneath notice.  All-in-all, I guess I would
have
> > say that doing it 'by the book' isnt all that much harder than signing a
> > form assuming what most of us would consider to be a reasonable level of
> > competency.
>
> You did say that you were talking about cross-overs at the dive master
> level - rather than Instructor level - didn't you?  (Personally, I
wouldn't
> even bother with a cross-over programme to any agency for people at the
Dive
> Master level.  It's not really that necessary!  And - Yes! - I have done
one
> or three cross-over programmes!)

Would not have bothered except that the Instructors with whom I work decided
they wanted to teac NAUI courses and needed NAUI DMs to meet their own
standards (1 DM per buddy team or better  - when possible, they prefer to
buddy each student with a DM) and it didn't cost me anything but time (and
an additional dues payment each year.)

> As the point seems to have been missed - and just to clarify my objections
> to this particular mail-order, free crossover offer:
> 1.    There are no apparent standards for Instructors to adhere to.
> 2.    The system does not allow either the candidate or the Agency to
> 'eye-ball' one another.  (The fact that the prospective candidate
presumably
> holds a current Instructor rating with another agency is immaterial if you
> believe in quality control.)
One could assume that the instructor candidate knows enough about the agency
but as always, assume can get you into trouble.

> 3.    It was a broad-brush offer made to people whose teaching abilities
and
> history is unknown to the sender.
> 4.    I don't know about the rest of you, but even if I wasn't an
> Instructor, I reckon that I could easily forge sufficient diving
credentials
> to qualify for the offered mail-service cross-over programme!
> 5.    It would be difficult, if not impossible, for the agency to ensure
> that everyone teaching their programmes had at least a rudmentary
> understanding of what was to be taught - and how!
> 6.    It seems to me that mail-order certification of Instructors would -
in
> the event of an incident - create a bit of a dilemma for the insurance
> company.
> 7.    What value or credibility can be placed on something that isn't
> earned?
> 8.    Would anyone feel comfortable having diving taught to their loved
ones
> by a person who's received their qualification through the mail?
> 9.    If the focus of learning is moving back to self-study then why
bother
> having Instructors or agencies at all?

OTOH, having seen lots of instructors from lots of agencies in action, I am
surprised there are not more accidents and fatalities.  I suspect that a lot
of people do their OW dives and maybe a trip somewhere and get so scared
they never venture near the water again.  No several people that fit into
that category.

CH

.