SCUBA-SE Archives

August 2000

From:
Krazy Kiwi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Aug 2000 01:41:22 -0400
Aldo P. Solari [APS] <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>Isnt barramundi protected down there?

Not in the way I think you think :-)
We have bag limits, size limits for most of our fish & in some places there
is also a closed season for the barra - from 1st November to 1st February
each year so they can breed in peace. At the last check we had 16
genetically distinct stocks of barramundi in various major river systems
throughout Australia.

Barramundi are highly prized by recreational anglers for their sporting
qualities. Here in the West we have the annual Barra Competition - the
capture and release of 'trophy' barramundi.

The Ord fishery in the Kimberley is managed by our Fisheries Department and
the East Kimberley Community. They have developed a recreational fishing
management strategy for the Ord River. Not only do the have a bag limit -
one legal-sized barramundi per angler, they also have minimum & maximum
size limits.
Maximum size limit of 80cm  - to help protect large spawning females over 7
kg.
Minimum size limit of 55 cm - to improve average size of barra caught -
ensuring all fish taken are over 2 kg - and help conserve and share the
catch while providing enough fish for an average family meal.

>Maybe barramundi from aquaculture farms ?

Barramundi are currently being farmed in Queensland, Northern Territory,
South Australia, New South Wales and Western Australia. In South-East Asia
barramundi is known as Asian sea bass and, particularly in Thailand, they
have had a very successful run with aquaculture farm.

We also have commercial fishing of Barra which is managed by controlling
the area of the fishery, the amount or type of fishing gear permitted, the
total allowable catch and the like.

For those who have no idea what a barra is ... check this not-so-good pic
out.
http://www.ausfish.com.au/images/15kgbarra.html
Viv