SCUBA-SE Archives

August 2000

From:
Krazy Kiwi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Aug 2000 23:18:53 -0400
On Tue, 29 Aug 2000 23:14:06 -0400, Lee Bell <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Krazy Kiwi wrote:
>>John, Leave it in...we were a SOB team, that is, I could see everyone's
>>divelights <G>  As I recall the only person I lost track of was RayJ.
>
>Nope.  You lost track of me too, not that anyone expected you to keep
>track of anyone else.  By the time we did our night shore dive, we all
>knew we were all competent to be SOBs, particularly those of us carrying
>a camera.

I think we've got our dives mixed up here ... I wasnt buddied up with
anyone on the shore dive to the airplane wreck. I do remember swearing
(quietly under my breath ;-)) at Ray-J for taking so long to gear up coz he
was yacking to another dive group. Then Jeff dashed in so we waited for him
also. The only reason I kept an eye on Strike was to make sure I got my
divelight back ;-) ... who can ya trust these days <BWG>. That is a lovely
spot for a night dive, very warm & comfortable. I dont think I would ever
tire of it with all the lovely, little critters hiding all over the place -
flamingo shells, eels, octopus, spider crabs, conch shells, etc.

>For reasons I'm still not certain of, I wore my wetsuit on that night dive
>and failed to add sufficient weight for it.  As my tank started to get low,
>the combination of shallow water and inadequate weight began to make me a
>bit buoyant.  I headed for shore earlier than the rest of you.  I was quite
>surprised to find that the current had reversed during our dive.

I always overweight myself slightly for photo sessions as I find if I am
just comfortable with a full tank I get very buoyant (to much fat on me
arse & hips ;-)), at the end of a dive & cant stay down without wasting a
lot of energy. I would prefer to be able to put one finger down to steady
myself when taking a pic instead of having to hold on with a death grip to
a dead bit of coral, etc. If its on the open sand you can kneel anywhere
while biding your time waiting for that sneaky blennie to pop out of its
hidy-hole :-)
Viv