SCUBA-SE Archives

August 2000

From:
Crusty Russ <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Aug 2000 22:18:30 -0500
Hi Poe,

On many occasions I've intentionally popped an O-ring out by releasing a
yoke still under partial pressure.  When you need to make a quick
replacement of an old leaky O-ring, particularly on a small rocking
boat, this method is safer than staggering around with a sharp-pointy
dental pick trying to gouge the reluctant O-ring out of its recess.  I
partially purge the reg, give the yoke a twist...you hear a *snap* as
the escaping air unseats the ring ...done.  Sometimes it takes two
tries, but this has yet to fail in quickly and easily removing the
O-ring.

Oftentimes the leaky rings are caused by a poor O-ring mate at a gouged
up tank valve opening.  A fresh ring will most of the time deform to
seal up the irregularity and stop the leak...for a while.  Such is life
on the road with rental tanks.

Best regards,
Russ

*snip*