SCUBA-SE Archives

August 2000

From:
Lee Bell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Aug 2000 18:49:23 -0400
Reef Fish wrote:

>      What is YOUR recommended remedy for such urchin hits?

The best remedy for urchin is to avoid the bloody things in the first place.
Those buggers hurt like hell, even for those of us who are relatively immune
to organic toxins.  To the best of my knowledge, the second best remedy is
ammonia which reportedly dissolves the spine.  The third best, assuming
there's no bottled ammonia available, is reportedly urine, supposedly
because it contains ammonia.  Of course all of this may be folklore rather
than truth.  Fortunately, I've been able to employ "the best" remedy for a
very long time.

I think the final remedy may be amputation which has got to hurt less than
my recollection of the last time I had a close encounter of the worst kind
with a spiny sea urchin.

Lee