SCUBA-SE Archives

August 2000

From:
Bjorn Vang Jensen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Aug 2000 10:41:09 +0700
Lee wrote:

>If all agencies met the minimum standards they have agreed to,
>if all agencies certified only qualified instructors, if all instructors
had
>the committment to quality and their students that they should have, then
>all that an instructor would need to cross from one agency to another was
an
>understanding of minor issues of no real consequence to the overall quality
>of the training they provide.  That's a lot of ifs, unfortunately, none of
>which can be counted on in this real world.

I don't think it's even quite as simple as that, Lee. Meeting standards is
only part of the picture, the other part being the quite different
approaches and materials that agencies use. Typically, materials and manuals
form part of an integrated dive training solution, and without a proper
understanding of how that package is to be taught, the best credentials from
another agency will not do any good.

Bjorn