SCUBA-SE Archives

August 2000

From:
Krazy Kiwi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Aug 2000 11:29:47 -0400
On Fri, 4 Aug 2000 10:37:39 +1000, David Strike <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>On Thursday, August 03, 2000 8:40 PM,
>
>Viv queried:
>>>Where exactly will you be? Island, hotel, etc.
>
>>Andy Johnson wrote:
>>I think it's the Grand Bali Hyatt - no idea where that is!

>And Strike replied with:
>Hi, Andy!  As Michael and Robert Delfs have already indicated, the Nusa
>Dua complex is an enclave of five-star hotels and resorts that's about
>as far removed from the real Bali as it's possible to get and where
>what 'culture' there is is somewhat sanitised and expensive. It's also
>a bit of a trek into the nearest villages - or to Kuta... snip
>
>Sanur - to my way of thinking - is a better proposition than Nusa Dua,
>mainly because you're exposed to a greater variety of Balinese culture.
>But it is quieter than Kuta.
>
>I've never stayed in Ubud, but friends who have say that it's wonderful.
>At least one of the hotels feature rooms with their own private
>swimming pool and stunning views across the valley of green terraces.
>
>Also - as Viv says - it'd be worth while catching up with Michael
>Cortenbach, of Bali Hi  Diving Adventures. While there are any number
>of dive operators in Bali, Michael's  is a family business that's
>established a good reputation.

Well Andy, soon the postie will deliver some info about all the hotels ..
deluxe & middle range. Also included some info about the general dive sites
& included a book I'll loan you which describes the main dive sites & there
whereabouts. You are lucky as it appears your honeymoon will end on the day
the OZ school holidays start next year .. so you wont have as many aussie
ankle-biters around. Bali is a cheap holiday for us in Perth & with Qantas
flying Aussies over in the 100's with cheap fares its a popular getaway
destination.

If you are really lucky you may see the Mola mola as they appear in one
area on a regular basis in July. Check out this web page for some pics of
the weird looking creature. Phillip Colla posted a mouth wide open mola
mola pic (7th pic down) on the UW-photo list for the ugly critter contest.
http://www.oceanlight.com/html/mola_mola.html

Absolutely fantastic web site.
Viv