SCUBA-SE Archives

August 2000

From:
Christian Gerzner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Aug 2000 22:06:49 +1000
Folks,

My hands are still shaking, it is 2200 or thereabouts AEST as I write
and a lot earlier I wrote to Mary Ann to express that there was at least
on person "downunder" who felt for her and the family.

Ron (in our private mails) rarely referred to her but when he did it was
with respect and dignity. Actually there was no need to refer to her
given our usual subject material, but it happened occasionally. That
also says something.

I am going to be eternally grateful to Strike for phoning me with this
dreadful news. That was a lot better than seeing it on this medium.

I only knew Ron via what we call cyberspace yet we had a lot in common.
We collaborated on the Dive Card page (Strike's initiative) and the
"Build Your Own Aqualung" page all on Ron's website.

I like to think that we built some kind of bond. Certainly we did quite
a lot of corresponding.

Ron was, as some have already said, passionate about this activity we
all enjoy. Many of us are. Sadly, sometimes, decisions seem to be made
which are questionable.

I think Ron might have made one of those, yet I respect him for the
making of it. I have no doubt that he questioned it and decided to
accept the risks.

I grieve,

Christian