SCUBA-SE Archives

August 2000

From:
David Strike <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Aug 2000 10:58:26 +1000
On Thursday, August 10, 2000 4:21 AM, Reef Fish wrote:

(snip)
>while I said that was the MOST DANGEROUS depths
> for newbies for the very reason you gave, at a magnified scale
> (depth of 25 fsw).  Many ACTUAL cases of death by embolism
> occurred at depths less than that!

Hence the advice - should a problem arise at depth - "Stop!  Think!  Act!".
Within reason, doing a bolter for the surface - despite the fact that it's a
natural instinct when things go awry - often only exacerbates and adds to
the divers woes!  I seem to recall a diving Doc once telling me that the
vast majority of diving injuries occur at the surface rather than at depth,
and that a great many might have been prevented had the victims applied some
rational thought to their situation before rushing to ascend.  (A piece of
advice that I've always thought's easy to give from a warm, cozy office!)
:-)

(snip)
> A 3rd "or" (which is the TRUTH) is that you've been trolled by
> the inimitable Giovanni Marola.  :-)

But he does it so well! <BWG>  And I do admire an expert! :-)

> As the saying goes, there are always THREE sides to every story --
> you side, his side, and the TRUTH.  :-)

I regard the truth as an alien expression! :-)

Strike