SCUBA-SE Archives

August 2000

From:
David Strike <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Aug 2000 11:33:24 +1000
G'Day, Folks!

It's little wonder that so many people regard Training Agencies with a
degree of scepticism.  This morning I received a post from the States
addressed to me as, <Dear DEMA Member>

The guts of the message said that: < As a way of saying thank you to all the
DEMA members that have supported us over the years we would like to extend a
special offer to the industry.>  (I've hardly been an advocate of the agency
concerned, SDI/TDI, but I do pay my dues to DEMA!)

It went on to say that all that I had to do to become an Instructor with
that agency was to complete a free e-mail cross-over application and submit
it together with a photo-copy of my current Instructor credentials.  The
offer included free membership dues for the year 2000, an Instructor manual
and a student manual.

Neither do they, apparently, require any proof of ability or competence to
teach!

If this represents the face of recreational diving's future then we might as
well go back to reading, "Teach Yourself Diving"  books.  (I'm just grateful
that my kids have already learned to dive.)

Strike