SCUBA-SE Archives

August 2000

From:
Bjorn Vang Jensen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Aug 2000 07:19:28 +0700
Don wrote:

>BUT, what about diving on
>those wrecks.  Is that also not a desecration.

I admit that there are grey areas here, but it seems to me that merely
diving the wrecks and looking at them is no more of a desecration than
taking a stroll through Arlington or any other cemetary.

> BTW, I will admit that I am
>really conflicted.  I want to dive Truk but would be mortified at the
>thought of people diving the Arizona.  Would you allow diving on the
>Arizona under a don't touch policy?

Yes. Lee raised a good point when he said that exposing people to the
horrors of war is a good thing (or words to that effect). I do think,
though, that diving the A should be in the form of guided and controlled
tours.

Bjorn