SCUBA-SE Archives

August 2000

Date:
Sun, 6 Aug 2000 08:37:58 -0500
.<SNIP>
> You raise a great point Chuck.  So where do you draw the line?  I think we
> can all agree that disturbing the remains (i.e. touching) much less
> treating the remains of Japanese sailors at Truk as trinkets or souvenirs
> is deplorable and a desecration of war graves.  BUT, what about diving on
> those wrecks.  Is that also not a desecration.  BTW, I will admit that I
am
> really conflicted.  I want to dive Truk but would be mortified at the
> thought of people diving the Arizona.  Would you allow diving on the
> Arizona under a don't touch policy?
>
> /Don

I dont know where to draw the line and it may be that everyone has to draw
their own according to their own morals and ethics.  Personally, I dont
think I could dive Truk.  Whether one agrees or disagrees with the policies
of the government involved, the common seaman was doing his duty as he saw
his duty and to disturb what is essentially a military graveyard just does
not seem right to me.

Put it in another context, how would we feel if a bunch of tourists started
digging up Arlington?

CH