HP3000-L Archives

July 2000, Week 4

From:
william brandt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
william brandt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jul 2000 13:50:12 -0700
Allan - now that the Cold War is over and the site closed I guess I can
reveal a secret. I was stationed in a NATO bunker in the FRG 1973-1974 and
the site had a HUGE RCA mainframe - old even then - that was full of tubes.
It seemed at least once a week, more often once every 2-3 days the thing
went down for something - this is the mainframe responsible for tracking
Warsaw Pact aircraft from Poland west...It wasn't dire as there were 2 other
sites - a mini NORAD - around the country.

On that Burroughs we had 2 removable 2MB disks - they weren't "Packs" as
they had but one platter - and the heads would regularly go south - hit the
surface and ruin the disk. It had a teletype for the console. We went though
a lot of paper.

We had a COBOL compiler and it would take the entire night to recompile our
applications.

Bill