HP3000-L Archives

July 2000, Week 4

From:
william brandt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
william brandt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jul 2000 10:02:06 -0700
The recent posts by Alfredo and others about how so many of the top echelons
at HP seem to forget about MPE got me thinking...

Our first business computer was a Burroughs B700, about 1974. It was pretty
crude by today's standards - 40K of core memory - an extra 8K was available
for $10,000 - and that's 1974 dollars.

The computer  required a service call literally averaging 1x/week in the 5
years we had it. When it came time for another computer I looked at the
reliability ratings published in Computerworld. Although we considered Basic
4, Data General, Tandem, DEC, Burroughs, IBM and HP, it really came down to
HP ,IBM and DEC. IBM had their Series 1 and System 34 and HP had their 3000.
DEC had their VAX which was the hot item at the time. We decided on the 3000
Series 30 with a 7920 disk drive. What stuck me is that of all the computers
we considered at the time only the HP3000 is still in existence and not only
surviving but thriving.

What's the reason?

I would say (a) reliability not only in the hardware but MPE, (b)
versatility, (c) power for the money.