HP3000-L Archives

July 2000, Week 4

From:
Chuck Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chuck Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Jul 2000 14:07:28 -0500
> To make a long story short, increasing throughput to the 3000
> by upgrading the network may turn out to be a lot more
> complicated than originally estimated.  We now have a network
> that runs 100Mpbs from the workstation to the closet and 1Gb
> from the closet to the HP3000.  It was definitely worth the
> effort, but also took a lot of time and money.  I guess my
> point is that it wasn't anywhere near as simple as replacing
> a NIC and paying HP a few bucks (although we did that, too).
>
> Anyway, best of luck.
>
> Bob

Ouch!

Actually, our network is in very good shape. We ripped out and remodeled our
entire office 2 years ago with complete new wiring, switches and hubs.

Our NT servers have no problem with throughput and we are not running above
15% capacity on our lan. However, the amount of time it takes to retrieve
large blocks of records from our 939KS seems consistantly high even when I
am the only one on the system.

Thanks to everyone for your input.