HP3000-L Archives

July 2000, Week 4

From:
"Stigers, Greg [And]" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stigers, Greg [And]
Date:
Fri, 28 Jul 2000 13:33:19 -0400
X-no-Archive:yes
Ask questions. Lots and lots of them. How else will you learn, or will the
rest of us know what we never knew, or will learn better by having to
explain what we know.

If you can accept attachments, I can send you some stuff I wrote up for our
people and put on a web server, although it's pretty basic. Also, the target
is for folks using a Microsoft OS and ftp client to access a mainframe. The
principles would be similar, but not identical. Of course, it depends what
platform(s) you want to ftp between.

What I did, a few years ago, was take two days (man, I would love to be
allowed to do that more often!) and just explore ftp help on my PC and on
the 3000. On the 3000, I had to look at both help for the client and the
server. Also, from the PC, I used remotehelp / quote help to learn about the
server. And, I vaguely remember some flat files, kind of like read mes, on
the 3000. And then there are the MPE manuals. And the RFCs at ietf.org,
although those aren't usually casual reading. That's really not a bad way to
do it, examining these resources. In fact, one page of what I could send you
came out of some notes I took to kind of try to organize the ftp commands
into meaningful groups, to help me get my mind around them. The one
shortcoming that this had for me was I got the generic principles down well
enough, but not enough of the platform-specific principles, things let
setting record length. They were there, but I wound up coming back to them
once I was asked to actually ftp something.

Another way would be to start with the very specific tasks you need to
accomplish right now (assuming that this is your situation, in contrast to
mine years ago, when I had only been vaguely told that we would be using
ftp, so set out to learn it). Then explore those features that you are using
without fully understanding, and then you can understand them better.

Greg Stigers
http://www.cgiusa.com